Tuesday, April 5, 2011

First Birthday Party Favor Ideas: Homemade Hand-Dipped Chocolate Covered Oreos!

 With my daughter's first birthday party rapidly approaching, I'm in party planning mode and thought I'd share some of my ideas. For her party favors, I'm toying with the idea of Hand-Dipped Chocolate Covered Oreos.  They are so pretty and I can't imagine taste delicious!


Buy these online! $1.45 each


I am going to attempt to do these myself. Here is a "how to" I found:

Instructions

Things you'll need:

  • 1 # Molding Chocolate (vegetable oil based)
  • 16 Oreo cookies
  • Dipping fork (found at most craft stores)
  • Wax paper
  • Microwave proof bowls

    1. Lay wax paper out on your work surface, and remove cookies from their packaging, removing or eating any broken ones.
    2. Melt molding chocolate in a microwave safe bowl on medium heat. Microwave for 1 minute the first time and then for 20 second increments until chocolate is almost melted. Remove from microwave and stir till last small pieces are melted. Molding Chocolate should be around 100- 110 degrees
    3. Drop and Oreo in the bowl of chocolate, and flip it over with your dipping fork.
    4. Lift your cookie out of the chocolate with the dipping fork and shake off excess chocolate by lightly tapping the base of the fork on the side of the bowl.
    5. Place the cookie on the wax paper and allow the cookies to dry till solid. At least 10-15 minutes.
    6. Decorate the cookies by melting more molding chocolate in your color of choice in a microwave proof bowl as per the directions in step two above. Place this melted chocolate in a small snack size plastic bag and cut off a small tip of one corner. Use this bag to drizzle a design across the cookies in your pattern of choice. Have fun with this part and use your imagination!


    So, we'll see how they turn out! 

    As for packaging them, I'm going to buy Plain white or pink take out boxes, put a colorful sticker on them and use my other theme colors (bright blue, lime green and pale yellow) as tissue paper, topped with a cute ribbon, I'm hoping they will turn out cute! I'll post pictures when finished!




No comments:

Post a Comment